Case sensitivity

M.-A. Lemburg mal at lemburg.com
Tue Feb 25 04:31:29 EST 2003

Alex Martelli wrote:
> Greg Ewing (using news.cis.dfn.de) wrote:
>
>>Alex Martelli wrote:
>>
>>>If you think so, then I believe you should reply to Marc
>>>Andre Lemburg's explanation of the rationale for that design
>>>in his followup to my post.  I happen to agree with Marc
>>>Andre that the rationale is sound
>>
>>Marc, I'd like to apologise for any aspersions I may
>>have inadvertently cast on mxDateTime. I'm not
>>familiar with that particular module, and I was
>>taking at face value Alex's apparent suggestion that
>>it made random choices about use of case.
>>
>>I now understand that the choices are not random, and
>>that there is a rationale behind them. But then, if
>>there is a clear rationale, the cases shouldn't be
>>so hard to remember as Alex was making out.
>
> The rationale is perhaps clear, but it just doesn't
> clearly APPLY to every single case -- thus you need to
> memorize e.g. which functions have been conceptualized
> as factories/constructors and which have been instead
> conceptualized as utilities/just functions.  This extra
> memorization burden is sheer cost, without benefit, and
> ONLY because of case sensitivity.

Think of it this way: you don't pay anything for the benefit
of using the software, so the net total is still a good buy.

Seriously, I don't see the point in this discussion.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Software directly from the Source  (#1, Feb 25 2003)
Python UK 2003, Oxford:                                     35 days left
EuroPython 2003, Charleroi, Belgium:                       119 days left