Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Fri Feb 7 22:39:49 EST 2003

Peter Hansen wrote:

> Gerrit Holl wrote:
>
> > Guido van Rossum schreef op vrijdag  7 februari om 18:16:27 +0000:
> >
> > >         x if C else y if D else z <==> x if C else (y if D else z)
> >
> > Doesn't this equal ((z ,y)[bool(D)], x)[bool(C)]? I think it's
> > good enough.
>
> If I saw *either* of those in real code produced by someone in my
> group,
> the code would immediately be rewritten.  Neither is readable.

By the way, the same is true in C or C++ with the normal ternary
operator.  Once you start chaining them together they get really ugly,
really fast.  That's just pilot error (writing code which is hard to
read), not a flaw in the construct itself.

/  \ Shooters, looters / Now I got a laptop computer
\__/ Ice Cube
    Kepler's laws / http://www.alcyone.com/max/physics/kepler/
 A proof of Kepler's laws.