[Q] Web Application Development with Python

Tim Lavoie tlavoie at acm.org
Wed Feb 5 11:26:45 EST 2003

>>>>> "Young-Jin" == Young-Jin Lee <ylee12 at uiuc.edu> writes:

    Young-Jin> Hi, I am new to python and Zope, and I would like to
    Young-Jin> get some opinions about a Web application development
    Young-Jin> with Python.  I have developed a Java signed
    Young-Jin> Applet/Application with a Servlet, which can do some
    Young-Jin> works on the client side, send the results to the
    Young-Jin> server via a Servlet connection, and get compiled
    Young-Jin> results on the server via a Servlet connection. (Some
    Young-Jin> other methods can be used to connect clients and a
    Young-Jin> server as long as they do not have a firewall problem,
    Young-Jin> of course.)  I want to add the following capabilities
    Young-Jin> to my signed Java Applet/Application such as (1) Wiki
    Young-Jin> capability (2) Search the compiled results on the
    Young-Jin> server side

    Young-Jin> I thought about using Zope to implement these
    Young-Jin> capabilities, but I would like to know it is a
    Young-Jin> reasonable decision considering the functionalities
    Young-Jin> that I need. In addition, can a Zope Web application
    Young-Jin> server (1) execute a Java signed applet and/or Java
    Young-Jin> application on the client side, and (2) collect results
    Young-Jin> from a Java signed applets and Java applications?

    Young-Jin> I found someone recommended Webware, which seems to be
    Young-Jin> a good candidate.

Webware and Zope are both good choices for server-side
development. You mention applets, which are just static data as far as
the server is concerned, so they can be served up just fine. For
having the client-side applet communicate back to the server, things
will work pretty much as well as they do with Java on the server
side.

The only caveat there is that you would not use serialized Java
objects as the data stream. In terms of firewalls and so on though,
you have the same limitations either way. Your applet would not likely
know about your browser's proxy settings if they are needed to reach
the outside world from a client's system. However, if HTTP is allowed
out-bound from the client, then your applet can connect back that way.

--
"Even very young children need to be informed about dying. Explain the
concept of death very carefully to your child. This will make