[OT] Re: Python training time (was)

Martijn Faassen m.faassen at vet.uu.nl
Tue Feb 25 06:31:53 EST 2003

Tim Peters <tim.one at comcast.net> wrote:
> [Martijn Faassen]
>> US perceptions of the world are interesting in their peculiarity
>> sometimes.
>> Perhaps that's just because really *my* views are peculiar. :) But
>> perhaps it's also due to a lack of input of other perspectives into
>> your memepool.
>
> Oh no!  In American schools, I was thorougly educated about the reserved
> Brits sweeping chimneys on holiday, and the dour Dutch floating giant wooden
> shoes on their flooded streets to ward off Asian conquerors.

Ooh, good. I was under impression that such facts were barely known outside
of Europe..

[snip]
>> It's easier for smaller countries to get such input.
>
> Indeed, we'll be happy to sell them all the input they can afford, then cram
> down an extra eight for free.

Yup, definitely. Having a globally dominating media tends to help in not
hearing any other views, too. :)

>> Oh, and of course ESR also holds peculiar views not shared by lots of
>> others in the US -- then again, his set of peculiar views could've only
>> arisen in the US. :)
>
> Damn straight.  Just remember that this is the same country that brings you
> Python.

:) Not to discount the extremely large American input, but I thought a certain
international effort was involved..

Python-as-part-of-the-US-media-domination-conspiracy-ly yours,

Martijn