PEP 308 vote type (was Re: Update to PEP308: if-then-else expression)

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Thu Feb 13 06:05:03 EST 2003

Laura Creighton wrote:

> The logical fallacy of 'ad hominem' is when I say 'Don't vote for
> ternaries because Max is an idiot'.

"Ad hominem" means "to the person."  Ad hominem arguments are those
where you are attacking the person, not what they're saying.  I don't
know where you come from, but claiming that someone is wrong because
they're ignorant certainly comes close.  That you took the opportunity
to engage in an ad hominem by admitting that you were engaging in a
mischaracterization earlier doesn't exactly pretty the picture.

> And if you
> are still for Approval-Voting-A, then I think that you still do not
> understand it.

Okay, now you've defaulted to, "If you do not agree with me, then you
are ignorant."  That sounds like an appeal to authority to me; that
would make a third fallacy.  Congratulations, you must have gone for the
three-for-one deal.

/  \ In time of war the devil makes more room in hell.
\__/ (a German proverb)
    Crank Dot Net / http://www.crank.net/
 Cranks, crackpots, kooks, & loons on the Net.