Basic client/server with sockets

Andrew Bennetts andrew-pythonlist at puzzling.org
Tue Feb 11 02:36:40 EST 2003

On Tue, Feb 11, 2003 at 04:24:40AM +0000, Steve Holden wrote:

> How quickly this thread got off-topic! I might equally well suggest that
> everybody buys "Python Web Programming" to help them build their systems,
> but that doesn't answer the question ...

Well, yes and no :)

Your analysis of the real problem is of course correct; any protocol relying
upon receiving zero bytes is doomed.

I'd still argue that using a library that lets you think only about the
high-level problem, not the low-level details, would help the novice socket
programmer notice this flaw -- but I'm probably clutching at straws :)

Besides, given the plethora of socket server frameworks out there (including
some in the standard library), there really isn't much point to doing it all
yourself, except as a learning exercise, so from that perspective my advice
was also valid ;)

I-don't-care-if-it's-off-topic-so-long-as-it's-not-PEP-308-ly yr's -Andrew.