PEP-308 a "simplicity-first" alternative

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Sat Feb 15 12:12:37 EST 2003

Steven Taschuk wrote:

> I was confused because I thought you meant "more idiomatic and
> unreadable" as an undiluted criticism, and to me "more idiomatic"
> is an endorsement.  (The {x} thing is in my view not idiomatic at
> all, since it is not in use.)

Idiom is idiom, whether or not it is in widespread use.  Idiom is merely
grammar which is peculiar to a specific language and which does not
generalize to other langages.  In computer science, idiom is something
language- or usage-specific that is not particularly obvious unless
you've already been exposed to it.  `C and {x} or y' _as a conditional
operator_ substitute is just s idiomatic as `C and x or y' (despite the
latter having the well-known flaw when x is false).

/  \ Nobody's waited longer than me / To come clean
\__/ Jaki Graham
    Esperanto reference / http://www.alcyone.com/max/lang/esperanto/
 An Esperanto reference for English speakers.