non-readable source code distribution

Sam Marrocco samSPAMMENOT at twmi.rr.com
Thu Feb 6 20:15:06 EST 2003

Dan Bishop wrote:
> Sam Marrocco <samSPAMMENOT at twmi.rr.com> wrote in message news:<j7l0a.161481$GF.42516563 at twister.columbus.rr.com>...
>
>>So in "distributing" a python application to people, is there a way to
>>obfuscate or compile the .py file into something that isn't quite as
>>readable as a text file? I realize that it may be decompil-able (or
>>something like that), but I don't want casual users altering the code.
>

> What's wrong with .pyc?

Well, perhaps I'm missing a step. When I create a python script, the
modules my main script calls seem to "compile" to pyc files, but the
main file does *not*. Is there a way for me to pyc-ize the main file as
well?

Ideally, I'd like to take a program that consists of
mainfile.py
myfirstmodule.py
mysecondmodule.py

and be able to distribute a single, unreadable file called
mypythonapp.pyc

if that's possible?

Sam J. Marrocco
Sr. Visual Effects Artist/R&D
Travelling Pictures/GTN
Inferno, Flame, Houdini, Maya, All that cool stuff!
"The fact that no one understands you doesn't make you an artist."