targetting Palm development

Richard Jones rjones at ekit-inc.com
Tue Feb 18 23:10:29 EST 2003

On Wed, 19 Feb 2003 3:03 pm, robin wrote:
> Is anyone working on (or have hidden away) a version of Python that
> would target Palm OS development? I am not talking about running a
> Python interpreter on the Palm (which Pippy does, but which I see
> almost no need for). I want to develop on a PC but cross-compile. Sort
> of like what Jython does for Java.

There's no such thing as cross-compiling for Python. The closest you can get
is to copy a .pyc (compiled bytecode) file to your target machine, to avoid
the automatic compilation step there - though that's kinda pointless. I
_assume_ that Pippy will handle regular python bytecode - though it may have
some stuff removed. You're safer to just copy the actual Python source
around.

You still need Pippy to run apps on the Pilot - it's the run-time environment
for Python applications. Just like there'd be a JVM on the Pilot to run Java
apps (assuming such a beast exists...)

    Richard