PEP 308: Alternative conditional operator forms

Laura Creighton lac at strakt.com
Tue Feb 11 02:19:55 EST 2003

> Laura Creighton wrote:
>
> > If the vote is 50/50 then we have done our poll wrong.  The people
> > who don't care should get to vote that.
>
> Sorry.  I am not following you.
>
> --jb

When you are taking a poll to find out what the community thinks about
something, it matters a great deal if the results come out 48% for,
42% against, 10% abstained/undecided/don't care or if you get 6% for,
4% against 90% abstained/undecided/don't care.  You mustn't take a
vote with the assumption that 'only people who care matter'.  Those
that do not care have not automatically lost their franchise.

Laura