proto-PEP: interpolated strings using ""if

Tim Peters tim.one at comcast.net
Sat Feb 8 03:35:50 EST 2003

[Anthony Baxter, proposing postfix "if" as a string interpolation operator]
> Examples
>
>    >>> a, b = 5, 6
>    >>> print "a = $a, b = $b"if
>    a = 5, b = 6

[Roman Suzi]
> What is wrong with:
>
> print "a= %(a)s, b = %(b)s" % vars()
>
> ???

It's missing "if" at the end.  I'm sure Anthony will agree <wink>.

In the early 90's I was helping out on a new CPU design, and after getting
many odd proposals accepted, wrote a detailed spec for a new "sort" opcode.
It was to move all the 0 bits in a register to one end, and all the 1 bits
to the other end.  An opcode modifier specified which end was which.  I also
asked for another modifier, to control whether the bit sort was stable, or
whether the bits were to be swapped into place via a quicksort-like
partitioning pass.  After gnashing their teeth for an hour, the HW folks
were so relieved to hear that the "stable modifier" was a joke that they
didn't even question the rest of it.  Heh.  Heh heh.

the-subsequent-bankruptcy-wasn't-really-related-ly y'rs  - tim