Newbie: problem with own module

Eric Brunel eric.brunel at pragmadev.com
Thu Feb 20 04:07:21 EST 2003

Matthias Stern wrote:
> Hi! I have problems building my own modules. This is the a short version
> of the program with all functions (i show here only one) in one file:
>
> ---
> import WS
>
> def init(name):
>     	:
> 	WS.SetRunMode(1)
>     	:
>
>  :
>  :
>
> def main():
> 	init(something)
> main()
> ---
>
> Now I want to put all the functions like "init()" except main() into a
> module. this look like:
>
> module "boo.py":
>
> ---
> def init(name):
>     	:
> 	WS.SetRunMode(1)
>     	:
> ---
>
> main program:
>
> ---
>
> import WS
> import boo
>
> def main():
> 	boo.init(something)
> main()
> ---
>
> When I try to run this IDLE reports:
>
>   File "<snip>\boo.py", line 12, in init
>     WS.SetRunMode(1)
> NameError: global name 'WS' is not defined
>

> I tried to set a "import WS" command into file boo.py, too. But it didn't
> help. What am I doing wrong?

What was the problem exactly? Because it is actually the way to do it:

----boo.py----------
import WS

def init(name):
   :
   WS.SetRunMode(1)
   :
--------------------

----main program----
import boo

def main():
   boo.init(something)
main()

This should work (provided that the WS.py module exists somewhere in your
PYTHONPATH). Can you please send the actual error you got? And where was your
file boo.py?

HTH
--
- Eric Brunel <eric.brunel at pragmadev.com> -