Default path for writing a file (in PythonWin)

dbrown2 at yahoo.com dbrown2 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 5 00:47:20 EST 2003

Carlos Ribeiro <cribeiro at mail.inet.com.br> wrote in message news:<mailman.1044324787.21766.python-list at python.org>...
> On Monday 03 February 2003 06:52 pm, dbrown2 at yahoo.com wrote:
> > What should be the default path for myfile.write(mystring) if I use
> > myfile = file('thefile','w')?  It looks like files are going to a
> > library or package directory for me.  Is this a Python setting of
> > PythonWin? Is there a way to change it?
>
> I just use os.chdir in the top of my projects:
>
> import os
> os.chdir( <defaultdir> )
>
> Of course, this code assumes that I know the path to the directory where your
> files will be located. If all you know is that you want your files to be
> located at the same directory where your script is located (or a location
> relative to that one, for instance), but you *don't* know where the actual
> script is (for example, the user simple copied the file to a different dir,
> and then started the script from the command line from a different
> directory)... it's still possible, but it may be a little more difficult;
> you'll probably need to check sys.argv[0], and then derive the path
> information from what you get here.
>
> > Also, I have not been able to get a startup file to work in PythonWin.
> >  I guess I need a specific description of where to place the startup
> > file, what to name it, etc.
>
> There is a script just for this - sitecustomize.py - that is optional, but it
> will be loaded automatically during the Python startup. Please check the
> documentation of the 'site' standard module in the standard Python docs; it
> will explain it in more detail, particularly how does it handle the path
> settings.
>

> Carlos Ribeiro

Hm,

I had set up a sitecustomize.py which loads automagically if
I type 'python' from the DOS prompt.  It does not seem to load when I
start PythonWin.  Are you using PythonWin with sitecustomize.py and
having it load properly?  If so where do you put it?  If I can get
this to work I'll use your other tip to set the default working
directory.

David