What py-opportunities in Old Europe?

Martijn Faassen m.faassen at vet.uu.nl
Mon Feb 3 07:49:47 EST 2003

MyPy <mypy at operamail.com> wrote:
> I've been working as a C++ developer for several years and now I would
> like to start a one-man company in the software consultancy business.
> Some months ago I gave Python a try and apparently it seems
> well-suited for fast deployment of complex applications for all the
> reasons you're well aware of. But the point is: is there a *real*
> market for python consultants? I've had a look at the job board on
> python.org and searched some job sites (e.g. jobserve.com) but I could
> find only few open positions, besides my personal experience suggests
> that there are many (?) customers out there looking for VB, C++, Java
> people but no one even knows Python.  At least that is what happened
> to me here in Italy. So does anyone want to share his own
> feelings/thoughts/experience about  working as a py-freelance in
> Europe?

I'm not sure about Python itself, but what does have quite a bit of name
recognition in Europe is Zope, more I think than Python itself. You may be
able to find Python work more easily through Zope, if that's your cup of
tea.

And both markets are definitely growing.

Anyway, I imagine it'd be better to focus on the solutions the customers
want than on the skills they think they're asking for.

Regards,

Martijn