Python training time (was)

Andy Freeman anamax at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 4 14:54:16 EST 2003

"Brandon Van Every" <vanevery at 3DProgrammer.com> wrote in message news:<fZD_9.914$ek4.91595 at newsread2.prod.itd.earthlink.net>...
> So, how much time do you have to put into Python before you've mastered
> *every* aspect of the language?  I do mean "every."  Less than a year?  6
> months?  3 months?  Be honest.

That's the wrong question.  In fact, Van Every has told us that that
approach is bad engineering, that the right way to build things is "on
demand".  Python is quite useable by people who learn it "on demand".

The right question is either "How long does it take to become more productive
in Python than you are in C++?" or "How long does it take to become more
productive in Python than you'll ever be in C++?"

If you're actively developing, the answer to those questions is "less than
a week" although some report somewhat better results.  Additional learning
and experience just widens the gap.

-andy