urllib so slow

Paul Nilsson python.newsgroup at REMOVE.paulnilsson.com
Sat Feb 8 16:28:38 EST 2003

On Sat, 8 Feb 2003 14:43:15 -0600, an infinite amount of monkeys
hijacked the computer of Skip Montanaro <skip at pobox.com> and wrote:

>    Paul> Can someone tell me why urllib is so slow? The code below takes
>    Paul> over 12 seconds to execute just for the google webpage!
>
>Perhaps something platform dependent or you just hit a slow combination of
>google server and/or network congestion?  On my Mac OS X system conencted
>via cable modem I get respectable results:

I get the same result loading pages from my linux box over the 100MB
connection so I don't think it cn be a networking problem. Perhaps it
is a win98 specific problem.

I eventually found this on sf which is now closed:

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=508157&group_id=5470&atid=105470

Nice to hear it works for you thou :)

Cheers, Paul