Pre-PEP ideas

Greg Ewing (using news.cis.dfn.de) me at privacy.net
Mon Feb 17 17:18:49 EST 2003

Richard Jones wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Feb 2003 1:06 pm, Steven Cummings wrote:

> > def A.print(self):
> >    "print a string representation to sys.stdout"
> >    print self._value

> I'd vote -1 for this simply because there's already a way to do this.

The existing way is fine assuming assuming you only want
to do this rarely. But I can think of a reason for wanting
to do this a lot.

When I have more than one class in a source file, and I'm
looking at a method definition, it can be hard to tell which
class it belongs to. In order to get a sense of where abouts
I am, I have to scroll up until I find the class statement,
and then scroll back down again to where I was. This is
terribly disruptive to one's flow of thought.

If I could declare all my methods using the above style,
this problem would go away.

--
Greg Ewing, Computer Science Dept,
University of Canterbury,