Integrate a GUI in a excel sheed

David LeBlanc whisper at oz.net
Tue Feb 18 02:42:05 EST 2003

> But I'm thingking of using the wxPython extension to write the
> GUI :). It would
> be great if I can embedd my GUI somehow in a excel spreadsheed.
> So i'm thinking
> of something like a widget container, but have at this moment no
> idea weather it
> is possible or not.

Basically, I don't think this is possible. wxWindows and Excel (written in
MFC) application use different message handling loop instances and it's not
possible (for sure without access to source code) to integrate them.

> So I want to ask weather somebody has ideas, known limitations, pitfalls,
> experiences, code snips ...

It's possible to build MFC based applications in Python using Mark Hammond's
PythonWin. An excellent example of that is the PythonWin IDE and the
SpamBayes project, which has an MS Outlook extension (COM control) that puts
up it's own setup and management dialogs written in Python-MFC. I think that
if you use the appropriate COM interface(s), you can build an active-x
control to embed into Excel in the same way as a VBA control.

You can find Spambayes at http://www.spambayes.sourceforge.net and it sounds
like you already know about PythonWin.

> I've to say that I'm no a VBA-experienced-..., so any help is
> very welcome.
>
> Regards
> Alexander

Dave LeBlanc