mention of books & extensions welcome, or...? (was Re: Scripting *of* Python)

holger krekel pyth at devel.trillke.net
Sat Feb 1 04:59:24 EST 2003

Alex Martelli wrote:
> Thanks for clarifying the reason for your preferences, but as a
> result I hope I've clarified mine (in my own mind first of all) and
> come to the conclusion that I disagree very deeply with you
> on this subject: I opine that _as a rule_ such discussions are
> best held on the group, ensuring all readers can, if they wish,
> follow _and_ participate (thus seeing all they need to make up
> their own mind AND let their feelings be known if they want).
> And I see no reason to make this one case an exception.

I didn't say that you should have posted privately.  Responses
to people on the list ("follow-ups") happens all the time.
And I fully agree that such public discussions allow people to
participate and that is a good thing.  It's why we are here.

My main point was that you didn't just innocently ask
"to try to gather a consensus" but called upon the
powers-that-be to approve your behaviour.  Let's put it
this way:  from all the well-known posters on c.l.py
i haven't seen anyone who would respond to a not-as-known
person by calling upon a group consensus in such a rhetorical
way.  That's a good thing in my book because otherwise it
would be unpleasant for not-so-wellknown people to present
criticism.

regards,

    holger