can't get win32gui example to work

Buckiboy jens-lippmann at t-online.de
Sun Feb 9 10:58:41 EST 2003

Hi all!

I've just installed ActivePython 2.2.2 224 on Win98se and tried to run the
Win32gui splash screen example from the Python cookbook.
Source code see
http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/120687.

When I run the script an empty window appears and I get the error:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "splash.py", line 77, in OnInitDialog
    bmCtrl = win32gui.GetDlgItem(self.hwnd, IDC_BITMAP)
pywintypes.api_error: (0, 'GetDlgItem', 'No error message is available')

I've provided a self-made bmp image since I couldn't find 'skins\splash.bmp'
but I checked that the image is found and loaded properly.
It looks like some resource file is missing which defines this dialog item.

Can someone help me get this script to work or point me to some running
example?
I want to display just a few icons, some kind of easy viewer.

BTW the error occurs regardless whether I run python or pythonw.

kind regards
Jens