webbrowser module under MacOS

Matthew Dixon Cowles matt at mondoinfo.com
Sun Feb 23 20:41:16 EST 2003

I opened a bug report at SoucreForge a little while ago regarding the
webbrowser module's _iscommand() function. You can get to the bug
report via the redirector at:

http://www.python.org/sf/687747

Briefly, _iscommand() tries to find a file that corresponds to the
value of the environment variable BROWSER. That turns out to be
inappropriate on some OSes because BROWSER contains some parameters in
addition to the name of the browser.

One solution to the problem would have _iscommand() assume that the
name of the thing it should search for extends only up to the first
space. I have little experience with MacOS X but I seem to recall that
spaces in file names are more common there than in most OSes. Is it
likely that assuming that a web browser's name has no spaces in it
will cause a problem?

I'd be glad to read replies here or you can add to the bug report if
you like.

Regards,
Matt