looking for speed-up ideas

Andrew Dalke adalke at mindspring.com
Tue Feb 4 02:30:21 EST 2003

Ahh, I should have checked all the posts before responding to another
branch...

Ram Bhamidipaty wrote:
> Wow. Your code is a lot nicer than mine! Here is what I got from the
> code without the heapqc support:
>
> 300klines in 33 seconds.
 >
 > With the heapqc module for 300k lines = 34 seconds.

Thanks.  Though it takes 2 times longer than your script?  Huh?
I can't figure out why.  With the heapq code there shouldn't even
be the memory problems I was concerned with.

 > Hmm. Something is definately wrong. Your script _should_ be faster.

Ummm, the code you posted as a revision of my code doesn't
have the exit after 300,000 lines, so you might be processing all
2.2M lines.  If so, my code is 7/2 times faster.

> Here is what it looks like after I added the heap module:
> There is some kind of bug with the heappop routine not
> returning a tupple. The output I am getting look like each
> element of each tuple is being returned by heappop:

Is this reproducible?  Is it in the CVS version slated for Python 2.3?

					Andrew
					dalke at dalkescientific.com