Non-english speaking Pythonistas needed

Alex Martelli aleax at aleax.it
Tue Feb 11 08:19:26 EST 2003

M. Müller-Oertel wrote:

>> >To enhance the appeal of Python to programmers with a non english
>> >background, it has been suggested to create entry pages for several
>> >languages at python.org.
>>
>> I think it's not needed. Every country has it's own TLD. And. of course,
>> python.TLD is expected to have national Python web-site.
>> (or in some countries it's  python.org.TLD or whatever they put
>> their org subdomain)
>
> This thread is about languages, not about nations. TLDs belong to nations,
> not to languages.
>
> If you look at it closely, you will find that there is often a
> many-to-many relationship between languages and nations. So using TLDs
> cannot be the solution.

Amen, Hallelujah!!!  In the Nutshell I pointed out "internationalization"
(or "i18n";-) is a silly misnomer -- as it's a necessary step if your
program must be usable, say, in all different cantons of Switzerland (one
nation), but may not be necessary for the program to be usable, say,
in both Italy and San Marino (two nations).  However, the editor
ruthlessly cut my pointer to Hobsbawm's "Nations and Nationalism since
1780", an excellent small book which I think would have helped all
readers understand the point.  Oh well!

Alex