OO patterns with Python

Michele Simionato mis6 at pitt.edu
Thu Feb 13 14:50:22 EST 2003

Just <just at xs4all.nl> wrote in message news:<just-D9CB4B.23360311022003 at news1.news.xs4all.nl>...
> Python should be perfect for you. I came to Python from Basic,
> assembler, Pascal, PostScript and a bit of C; objects were mostly new to
> me when I started with Python. Friends had shown C++ and SmallTalk but
> that had totally the wrong learning curve for me (being a lazy amateur
> programmer). Python makes it real easy as it isn't _purely_ OO, in the
> sense that you don't have to write a class to get "hello world" going.
> First you start to _use_ objects (eg. files, lists), learn what methods
> are. Then you learn what the mechanics of classes are, and you will
> slowly learn how to factor things into objects, and at that point
> patterns become interesting. Python is great for learning OO gradually.
>
> Just

Actually, I wanted to learn C++. But since in C++ everthing is mixed up
(syntax, memory management, object model, etc) I thought: better if I learn
OOP from a language without additional complications, then, once I understand
the relevant concepts I can translate them to C++.
The problem is that, now that I know Python, I have lost any motivation
to learn C++ anymore ...

                Michele