PEP 308: "then" "else" for deprecating "and" "or" side effects

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Tue Feb 18 19:42:26 EST 2003

Jp Calderone wrote:

>   It is like saying that a race car driver is qualified to design a
> car.
> Are they better qualified than the average joe?  Probably.  Are they
> as
> qualified as an engineer at GM?  Unlikely.

(Actually, modern race car drivers are really quite involved with car
design these days.)

Even if we take your example at face value, it's still missing a key
point:  Just because a feature is frequently requested does _not_ mean
that it's a bad feature.

If, using your analogy, the race car driver is not an expert and wants
something done a certain way, that doesn't _necessarily_ mean he's
wrong.  He could be right.  (And, actually, modern race car drivers are
really quite involved with car design these days.)

/  \ Bring me men / Bring me men who'll turn the page
\__/ Lamya
    Erik Max Francis' bookmarks / http://www.alcyone.com/max/links/
 A highly categorized list of Web links.