Project needs a name (was: Summary: Python.org as a multi-languageportal

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Sun Feb 16 21:43:22 EST 2003

Terry Reedy wrote:

> "M. Müller-Oertel" <mueller-oertel at arcor.de> wrote in message
> news:mailman.1045378970.29872.python-list at python.org...
> > > I also liked CosmoPython as a suggestion.
> >
> > So do I. There seems to be an issue however: A company named Cosmo
> Software
> > claims "Cosmo" as a trademark (http://www.cai.com/cosmo/).
>
> I am pretty sure that does not give them every word with 'cosmo'.
> There is also a Cosmopolitan magazine.  But I am not a lawyer.

I'm not a lawyer either, but perhaps I know a tad more about
trademarks.  In this case, it *is* possible that confusion
could arise because the owner of the trademark already operates
in the same business area as Python... "software".  There's
no definite yes or no without much more information, *and*
a real lawyer.  :-)

-Peter