Python vs. C++ Builder - speed of development

Jacob Hallen jacob at cd.chalmers.se
Tue Feb 4 10:31:23 EST 2003

In article <oZE%9.6069$6P2.679142 at newsread1.prod.itd.earthlink.net>,
Brandon Van Every <vanevery at 3DProgrammer.com> wrote:
>> Bottom line: What did you come to c.l.p to find?
>
>Hm, why *did* I... ah, I remember now!  I'm getting to the point where
>pretty soon I'll need 2D GUI elements.  It's an awfully big pain in the ass
>using WIN32 for that, so I thought I'd see what's available.  Along the way,
>we got into arguments about whether Python is this big timesaver over C++
>for all problem domains and development scenarios.  I say it is not.

Ahh, a good way to have an argument is to disregard what the other side
says. I don't think anybody has claimed that Python is the best programming
language for all problem domains; nor have they claimed that Python is
better for code production than C++ for all tasks.

What people here claim is that if you use Python for most of your coding
and save the bits where C or C++ is better suited, for those languages, you
will be significantly better off than if you write all your code in C or
C++.

Jacob Hallén