Case sensitivity

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 18 12:24:57 EST 2003

Jacek Generowicz wrote:
>> Guido van Rossum wrote Wed, 25 Jul 2001 05:29:41 GMT:
>> > But never mind, I'm giving up on making *Python* case-insensitive.
>> > The hostility of the user community is frightening.
>>
>> Personally, I would mind x and X mean the same, but I would
>> like if x and X would be forbidden to occur in one namespace.
>
> A good way of putting it. Maybe not forbidden, but it should certainly
> be sufficently hard for both to occur, to make introducing both by
> mistake effectively impossible.
>
>> When skimming the thread, Guido seems to be almost alone...
>
> FWIW, I'm with him on this one.

I was with him then, I'm still with him, but he's right: we, the
Python community, seem to have accumulated too many people with
their main background in case-sensitive languages (C/C++/Perl/
Java/...) rather than case-insensitive ones (Pascal/Eiffel/VB...)
for case insensitivity to ever get a "fair hearing".  Pity:-(.

Alex