Introduction to Socket Programming on Python

John Marshall John.Marshall at ec.gc.ca
Thu Feb 27 10:08:38 EST 2003

On Thu, 2003-02-27 at 10:49, bob wrote:

> Nope, I really do want to use sockets :) I'm doing it more from an
> academic viewpoint; I work as a network engineer and I may be doing a
> course sometime in the next year on network programming. I want to get
> a head start on it.
>
> I could try looking at perl / C socket tutorials but I'm much more
> comfortable in Python since I use it most of the time.
>
> I just want some examples since I find they are the easiest way to
> learn usually; you can play with them and change things until you
> really understand them. I usually learn much more from 10 lines of
> code than a chapter in a text book!

Although it is a text book, not online, and not free, Steven's
book it excellent. It contains a lot of code which is very
clear. It uses C, but w/r to sockets, the language won't
really change the way they are used. Python sockets is
basically a thin layer on top of the C API.

Steven's book also explains a lot of background and some
idiosyncracies of the many implementations of networking
APIs.

Stevens, W. Richard. UNIX Network Programming.
Volume 1, Second Edition. Prentice Hall, 1997.
ISBN 0-13-490012-X

John