Case sensitivity

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Fri Feb 21 20:20:47 EST 2003

[Erik]
>Is that _really_ the biggest problem a beginning programmer has with
>learning Python?  I very seriously doubt it.  I would think that the
>learning of the basics of programming and wrapping their minds around
>that would be a much larger task.

>Beginners are beginners, they aren't stupid.  "Case matters, so remember
>to watch it."

As much as I agree with what you are saying, it is most definitely not what
I hear Alex saying.  He is saying that *he* - as a user - has trouble, or at
least frustration, with case sensitivity.

Which he can say with as much conviction as I can say that in the
experience/process of learning to program with Python, case sensitivity was
not an issue worthy of mention.

You, it seems to me, are disagreeing with Guido, not Alex. Who focused on
the issue of non-programmers.

On the other hand, Alex thinks he is agreeing with Guido.

I don't.

Guido's concerns were largely put to bed by the teacher study.

So it is not fair to say that Guido succumbed to mob rule.

It is fairer to say that Alex  perceives there to have been more agreement
between his position and Guido's than there in fact is.

Art