[newbie] install setup (cont.)

Henri Chorand duschmurtz.nospamthanks at wanadoo.fr
Sun Feb 2 08:06:21 EST 2003

>>The best thing would probably be to download the Python-2.2.2.tgz source
>>package and to compile it, as advised on Python's site.
>
> That's always worked for me.
>
>>My newbie question is: which install directory should I choose?
>> From what I could read, it could be /usr/local/python.
>
> Anything under /usr/local is fine.  Just use the default. You may want to do
> a "make altinstall" instead of "make install" to avoid confusing programs
> that depend on "python" being the RH binary.

It worked just fine, many thanks!
./configure
make
make test
all went all right.

When I installed my Red Hat, I did not include Python in my setup, so I
wanted to start from the lastest stable version - version 2.2.2 probably
was more recent.

>>I also intend to use wxPython, so my question also applies to this one.
>
> I've always just used the default location when installing wxWindows and
> wxPython.

Fine. I'll do this.

I have two more basic questions:

1) Can you confirm python-docs, python-tools and sip are included in
python-2.2.2.tgz?
In my /usr/local/Python-2.2.2 directory, I can see Doc and Tools
directories, but not anything labelled Sip (even though I can't tell if
and when I would use it, it's only that it was listed in Red Hat's
Python packages)

2) Do I need to add something to environment variables so as to include
the path /usr/local/Python-2.2.2, something like:

export PATH=$PATH:/path-to/Python-2.2.2/bin