PEP 308: Alternative conditional operator forms

Nick Vargish nav at adams.patriot.net
Mon Feb 10 23:39:22 EST 2003

Erik Max Francis <max at alcyone.com> writes:

> What else should be on this list?  (You can reply by email if you wish.)

It requires a new keyword, but how about

C then x else y

with the else clause being mandatory. Alternately

C then: x else: y

As far as possible new keywords go, I'll guess that 'then' is not
commonly used as a variable name. I expect this will get shot down,
though -- I've noticed a certain resistance to the addition of new
keywords.

What I'd really like is to have the conditional come first, and avoid
overloading the 'if' keyword. Obviously else is already overloaded,
and fits nicely in context.

Nick

--
# sigmask  |||  version 0.2  |||  2003-01-07  |||  Feed this to your Python.
print reduce(lambda x,y:x+chr(ord(y)-1),'Ojdl!Wbshjti!=obwAqbusjpu/ofu?','')