Python task label

jerf at compy.attbi.com jerf at compy.attbi.com
Sun Feb 2 23:20:51 EST 2003

On Sat, 01 Feb 2003 22:58:59 +0000, Sam Marrocco wrote:

> When I run my Python app, which has a TK gui, the XP OS displays the app
> as "python.exe" in the task manager, along with a second "python.exe"
> which I assume is the interpreter itself.
>
> Is it possible for me to decide the name that the OS will give to my app
> within my code, as opposed to the default name of "python.exe"? Can I
> also "hide" the python interpreter from the task manager?

I don't know how to change the "Processes" display, and I don't think it
can be done, since I've never seen a program do it, even programs that
would very much like to do it (read: virii).

However,

from Tkinter import *
r = Tk()
r.title("Hello!")

*will* change the title in the Applications tab for the Tk window.

Also, I hope you *can't* hide the python interpreter from the task
manager... that would be a security flaw (albiet a minor one) in windows.

AFAIK, ".title()" will have to do, no matter what language you write it
in. (Again, I may be wrong but I would consider it a security flaw if I
am.)