Some thoughts about Python, python.org and non-English languages

laotseu bdesth at removethis.free.fr
Fri Feb 7 22:58:59 EST 2003

Müller-Oertel wrote:
> Recently I asked myself: Why isn't Python more popular?
>
> Its a powerful language, free software, open source, cross platform, has
> smart developers and a friendly community behind it. And every hyped
> software technology is already supported by Python. So why?
>
> Maybe because it tends to limit itself to the English speaking world. Surf
> to the python.org homepage. Your browser automatically tells the web server
> about your preferred language. Be it Spanish, French, German, Japanese or
> Arabic, the server ignores it. Speak English fluently or keep out, stay
> away, go elsewhere. This site is not for you.
>
> Is this meant to attract people to Python? I doubt that. It might be
> impossible to translate the site to every language of the world, but we
> could do better than we do now with little effort.
>
> There are links to foreign language resources at python.org already, but
> these are buried deeply
> inside the site. So learn English first, then find the links for your
> language.
>
> Python.org is a rich site already, but I feel there definitely is room for
> improvement.
>
> What could be done to improve it? I suggest to name an editor for each
> language. He or she should be a native speaker of this language and would
> compile and maintain a basic welcome page like this:
>
> a) A short (!) introduction to Python. One or two paragraphs about what
> Python is.
>
> b) Tell the visitor that Python supports his language and special characters
> or alphabet.
>
> c) Mention at least the major supported operating systems, provide download
> links.
>
> d) If there is a newsgroup or mailing list for the language, mention it and
> provide a link to its FAQ. In any case provide a link to a list of all
> python related newsgroups and mailing lists in all languages.
>
> e) A list of tutorials and ebooks (if any); a link to a list of all
> tutorials and ebooks in all languages.
>
> f) A list of printed books (if any); a link to a list of all printed books
> in all languages.
>
> g) A list of carefully selected links (private home pages, user groups,
> python related projects and companies).
>
> Every visitor to python.org would then be automatically redirected to the
> welcome page in his or her language.
>
> Let us make everyone everywhere know and feel Python is made for them.
>
> Please tell me what you think about this concept.

In an perfect world, it would make perfect sens... But the fact is that
not reading (not speaking, reading) english seems hardly avoidable if
you plan to do anything in computer programming.

But please, feel free to translate and publish !-)

BTW, I think that the real reason why Python is not that 'hype' as to do
with the fact that there is no big-company-with-big-dollars pushing it
(and I thank God - if He exists - for that point).

Laotseu