PEP 308: Alternative conditional operator forms

Andrew Koenig ark at research.att.com
Tue Feb 11 11:02:42 EST 2003

Robin> And if parentheses aren't required, then that might be the one
Robin> case where I would consider leaving them out. Nevertheless, I
Robin> still think required parentheses are a good idea. I don't see
Robin> much significant difference between:

Robin>     f((x if C else y))

Robin> and:

Robin>     f([x for x in L])

I do.  Enclosing list comprehensions in brackets makes it clear that
they're generating lists.  In fact, I had to check to see that it
wasn't possible to write (x for x in L) as a tuple comprehension,
which is what I would have expected it to mean if it meant anything.

On the other hand, I don't see much difference between

        f(x if C else y)

and

        f(lambda x: x+1)

in which extra parentheses are already not required.

--
Andrew Koenig, ark at research.att.com, http://www.research.att.com/info/ark