PEP-308 a "simplicity-first" alternative

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Sun Feb 16 11:12:10 EST 2003

Jp Calderone wrote:

>   And Terry meant that if you think that 1.1 is the same as eleven
> tenths,
> then you are mistaken.
>
>   The parallel seems perfectly valid to me.

The problem with the parallel is that some people are using the and/or
trick _as if_ it were a conditional operator; they've elevated it to an
idiom, but it's a broken idiom.

We've already seen several examples from the standard library (whether
corrected later or not) that used the idiom incorrectly; we're well past
the theoretical question of whether and/or can be misunderstood and
misused.

/  \ There are countless planets, like many island Earths ...
\__/ Konstantin Tsiolkovsky
    Maths reference / http://www.alcyone.com/max/reference/maths/
 A mathematics reference.