Case sensitivity

Tim Rowe tim at remove_if_not_spam.digitig.co.uk
Wed Feb 26 06:24:00 EST 2003

Tim Churches wrote:

> David's use of quotes around object names raises another, moot,
> question: if keywords and names were made case-insensitive, should
> literal strings be made case-insensitive as well - for example, should
> 'max' == 'MAX' return True? I hope everyone agrees definitely not. I
> challenge anyone arguing in favour of case-insensitivity for Python to
> produce a succinct explanation for beginners of why names and keyword
> are case-insensitive and why literals are not.

Because TIM and Tim refer to the same person, but they're not written
the same.

Though for what it's worth, I'm neither for case sensitivity nor case
insensitivity.  For Python I'm for no change, for my ideal language I'm
for two identifiers in the same namespace differing only by case being
an error.

Tim