3D graphics programmers using Python?

Laura Creighton lac at strakt.com
Fri Feb 7 09:02:17 EST 2003

Alex
<snip>
> Let me play devil's advocate:

It is usually bad to take somebody out of context like that, but in
this case I cannot resist.  grin.

> Thus, I disagree about "practically never the right choice".
> The only real issue is thast "*IF*" -- needing perfect knowledge
> of both languages (I strongly disagree with people who think you
> can effectively "subset" C++ in practical use).  If you write a
> *LOT* of Python extensions (etc), then presumably the extra cost
> of studying C++ (much more complicated than C) gets amortized.
>
> But, it IS a lot of study.  If one already knows C perfectly,
> and must do some (but not a whole lot of) extension development,
> then studying C++ for the purpose may not pay for itself.  That,
> in my opinion, is the tradeoff of interest between C and C++.
>

> Alex

My experience with studying C++ says that study is not enough.
You actually have to code your way into certain hells before you
know the hell is there. This goes for C as well, but C's hell
is smaller.

Up until last month I would have given unqualified support to the
statement 'if you can reduce your problem to something you can
code in c, _do it_.'  Now it is qualified.  I have been playing
with Boost, and that makes a lot of things easier.

Laura