Python training time (was)

John Ochiltree johnochiltree at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Feb 7 01:58:03 EST 2003

Alex Martelli wrote:

>> Can we have some comment on the discursive nature of truth?
>
> I'll be glad to offer one, if you show us you've done your homework
> by a short essay on truth and discourse in Heidegger, Wittgenstein,
> Kant and a fourth epistemologist of your choice, with comparisons
> and contrasts.  (Borges counts.  Or Santayana.  I'm not picky; I'll
> accept Emily Dickinson as epistemically interesting too, if you can
> make half a case based on primary sources.  The point is ensuring
> we don't waste effort in debating the fine points if you're missing
> the very fundamentals).
>

> Alex

We'll leave Kant, Heidegger and Wittgenstein in their metaphysical heavens.
I was thinking more Habermas and perhaps Luhmanns. Or perhaps Adorno's
assertion that if the work of psychoanalysis were not begerred by the
sphere of commodity then we would find the illness appropriate to the age.

BTW I don't consider the command economies of the Soviet Union or China to
have been Marxist. They were Leninist and Maoist monstrosities and I can
find nothing in Marx to warrant their introduction. In fact, very little in
Marx is prescriptive.

John