*Minor* python usability proposal

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Wed Feb 12 16:17:03 EST 2003

"Eron Lloyd" <elloyd at lancaster.lib.pa.us> wrote in message
> One nit I've sort of had was the syntax for declaring functions and
methods.
> The keyword "def" seems to me to be anti-intuitive compared to other
> declarative keywords, such as "class" (which is more descriptive).

It is an abbreviation for 'def_ine' or better, 'de_fine f_unction'.

> would like to ask the Python community is whether a more explicit
naming of
> "function" for global function definitions and "method" for class
method
> definitions would be desirable enough to implement.

'Function' might have been better, but 8 letters is too many for a
commonly used keyword, so it would have been abbreviated 'fun' (cute,
actually) or 'func'.

Method is not needed since methods are functions wrapped as methods.
This is a technical detail you should probably ignore for awhile.

> If the interest is there, I am more than willing to produce a PEP.

There isn't, and please don't.  It would only waste your time and that
of the PEPmasters.    Adding keywords happens rarely.  Changing
keywords never.

Terry J. Reedy