Numeric comparison anomaly

Jim Meyer jmeyer at pdi.com
Thu Feb 20 17:28:29 EST 2003

Hello!

On Thu, 2003-02-20 at 13:30, Gary Herron wrote:
> [...]

While I understand that this is the correct behavior for the above
implementation, I wonder if the implicit question wasn't "Shouldn't
infinity evaluate to be equal to infinity?"

Interestingly, Java considers the cases of both positive and negative
infinity. They are respectively greater than and less than everything
(except themselves); they are equal to themselves only.

Here's a slightly different snippet to break:

class INFINITY:
  def __init__(self, type = 1) :
    self.sign = cmp(type, 0)
    if not self.sign: self.sign = 1
  def __cmp__(self, other) :
    if isinstance(other, INFINITY) :
      return cmp(self.sign, other.sign)
    else :
      return self.sign

>>> posinf = INFINITY()
>>> neginf = INFINITY(-1)
>>> 1 > neginf
1
>>> 1 < posinf
1
0
1
0
>>> posinf < posinf
0
>>> posinf == posinf
1

You get the idea.

--j, who wonders if 'self.sign = 0' might ever be interesting ...
--
Jim Meyer, Geek at Large                                  jmeyer at pdi.com