ternary operator vote

Chermside, Michael mchermside at ingdirect.com
Wed Feb 12 17:20:02 EST 2003

> While technically accurate, because this isn't *just* a vote in the
> traditional sense, but more like a poll, I believe that using
> YES/NO/ABSTAIN produces more information, so that people can vote for
> proposals they like, against proposals they hate, and skip the others.

Hear hear! Let's please not design the language by committee... the
REAL goal is for c.l.py to reach a consensus. Since that will never
happen, the next best thing is for us to hash it out (which we're
doing quite actively), and then present our best ideas and let poor
Guido try to sort it out from there.

So your FIRST goal is to present your arguments so convincingly that
SOME other people reading this mess of threads decide that you're probably
right after all. Your SECOND goal is demonstrate (to Guido) what large
numbers of members of the community think, by voting. The voting system
doesn't have to be perfect (although it should avoid major biases),
because if everything is so close that the difference between a poll and
concordant voting matters, then the effective result will be "The Python
Community Does Not Agree On This Matter".

-- Michael Chermside