Python's 8-bit cleanness deprecated?

John Roth johnroth at ameritech.net
Fri Feb 7 16:25:54 EST 2003

"Roman Suzi" <rnd at onego.ru> wrote in message

> I've tryed vesrion 2.3a of Python and have been surprised by the
following
> warning:
>
> 1.py:6: DeprecationWarning: Non-ASCII character '\xf7', but no
declared
> encoding
>

> Does it mean, that all that Python software which is not in ASCII will
each
> time give such warning? (Thus probably filling up web-server logs or
just
> surprising users (like Perl/C libs do when they don't know current
locale).

> I think it's madness... There must be other ways to deal with it. I
could
> agree that for correct operation IDLE is demanding correct encoding
setting
> (and nonetheless workis incorrectly!), but plain scripts should be
> 8-bit clean, without any conditions! (Luckily, it's alpha version, so
> nothing really changed yet.)
>

> Sincerely yours, Roman Suzi

After thinking about this for a few days, it suddenly occured to me
that there may be a very obscure method in this madness. That is, by
restricting python source to 7-bit ascii unless otherwise declared,
it opens the way to migrate to UTF-8 input. This, in turn, would
solve most of the character set problems in one fell swoop.

John Roth