PEP 308: Alternative conditional operator forms

Carel Fellinger carel.fellinger at chello.nl
Tue Feb 11 21:07:53 EST 2003

On Tue, Feb 11, 2003 at 04:28:10PM -0800, Dave Brueck wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Feb 2003, Carel Fellinger wrote:
> Actually, the point of confusion was around whether or not there was a
> need for an explicit 'do not care' vote (versus people simply choosing not\

Yep, and I thought I'd explained why I want my "don't care" ticket:)

> to vote). For most language changes the pro and con camps will _always_ be
> minorities because the overwhelming majority of Python users probably
> don't follow c.l.py closely, if at all.

But I do follow c.l.py, I even try to follow this thread!  And I do
care about the outcome, whatever it maybe.  So why should my position
not be accounted for?  God knows how many not-voters are dead against,
pro or indifferent to this language change.  The only clue we get is
through voting.  So why is it that pro/against votes of voters do count
although their might be many many more against/pro users not voting, and
indifferent voters not count at all?

Sure you'll agree that *if* pro/against groups both were real minorities
that then changing the language was out of the question.  There are many
small groups lobying to get their pet in, and it would be silly to do so.
Unless it's a great idea, and fortunately that's still Guido to decide:)

If indefferent votes were counted too, we could tell how large or small
the pro/against groups are, *all* related to the number of people taking
their time to vote ofcourse.

--
groetjes, carel