Case sensitivity

Martijn Faassen m.faassen at vet.uu.nl
Tue Feb 25 12:08:45 EST 2003

Alex Martelli <aleax at aleax.it> wrote:
> Martijn Faassen wrote:
>
>> fooBarism = FooBarism()
>>
>> could be easily repaired, but is this *idiotic*? May be misguided, but
>
> I apologize for being politically incorrect here in my choice of
> terms.  If you'll accept, say, three months with biweekly long
> distance phone meetings of one hour each where you have to discuss
> this subtle and elegant design,

It's not a subtle and elegant design. It's a straightforward
design. Luckily with straightforward designs, you don't have
to have three months with biweekly long distance phone meetings. That's
the point of straightforward designs.

Though I'd be happy to rewrite it so either the instances or the
classes are named something else. :) I see in some code I wrote
where I thought I followed this pattern I actually called the instances
'FooInstance' explicitly.

Anyway, I'd be a bit less inclined to rewrite my modules if you
lobbied me for three months with streneous argumentation not seen
since the 'print >>' event that my module was idiotic. :)

> and still emerge thinking that
> "misguided" is the correct term to use for this no doubt excellent
> choice, I'll be overjoyed to nominate you for the Nobel prize for
> Peace, too.

[snip]
> I wonder if you'd still miss it so much after those hypothetical
> three months.

Why is this going to happen again for three months? I mean, if you
terrorize me for three months with long distance phone calls about this
issue I'd change my phone number pretty quickly. I think that's also
a pretty straightforward solution. :)

[snip]

[snip neat case insensitivizing code]
> import audiodev
> audiodev = happycamper(audiodev)
>
> print audiodev.audiodev
>
> Ah -- and the world is bright again!-)

>> but I think I could live with that. As long as modules themselves are
>> case-consistent.
>
> Granted.  I see no added value in allowing *a single source file*
> to spell the same name in a given scope in 2**N different ways
> (when N is the number of letters in that name), anyway.

Okay, life is good. :)

Regards,

Martijn