Yet Another Case Question

Mikael Schönenberg micke at strakt.com
Sun Feb 23 10:51:34 EST 2003

On Sat, 22 Feb 2003, David Mertz, Ph.D. wrote:

> But in all this latest discussion (and in the prior ones about the same
> matter), I do not think I've really seen any explanation of a POSITIVE
> benefit to case-sensitivity (as a language feature).  I am quite willing
> to believe there are some... but I just don't know what they are.

Well, as the only NEGATIVE effect you've mentioned is that people, who
as you put it are 'strongly verbally/phonetically oriented', have a
slightly more difficult time reading case sensitive code, the obvious
reply is of course that people, who are, as you put it are 'much more
visually/eidetically oriented', would have a slightly more difficult time
reading case insensitive code.

Take your pick, who do you want to discriminate today?

Possibly not a positive benefit as a language feature, but obviously as
good a reason to keep case sensivity, as the one you presented is to
remove it - unless you get into statistics about whichever group of people
is the larger one, but I don't really think we want to go there.

/micke