OT - Python with CVS or SourceSafe

Mats Wichmann mats at laplaza.org
Tue Feb 4 12:13:42 EST 2003

On Sun, 02 Feb 2003 15:05:19 GMT, Tom Bryan <tbryan at python.net> wrote:

:dsavitsk wrote:
:
:> So, I am interested in whether people are using Visual SourceSafe,
or if
:> they are using CVS in win32,
:
:Go with what you know...if you already know one of the two.
:
:Depending on your needs, you may want to check out Perforce at
:http://www.perforce.com/.  I believe they have an unlimited use 1
user
:server if you'd like to try it out before spending any money.  I
*really*
:like their support for branching and integration (if you have a few
release
:branches that you intend to support long term), and the changelist
support
:is invaluable on a large team.

This is one of those topics that will always generate lots of
differing opinions, because projects have such different scopes and
needs that there's basically no way to build a one-size-fits-all
solution.  Perforce is nice, and it's got the added benefit that it's
the thing that pushed me to Python :-) - I needed a particular add-on,
which someone had written in Python, but it needed tweaking. Ah,
another story. By all means take a look, the eval is free.

CVS really isn't very hard to use.  There's a setup cost, which may
also involve a learning curve, and there are some things it's truly
terrible at.  But the number of projects that use it successfully
(usually with some side grumbling) implies that it's at least usable.
Normally you only use about five or six cvs commands (checkout,
update, commit, add, remove and, if you're making releases, tag).

Personally, I'd never touch VSS again.

Mats Wichmann