STV (was Re: ternary operator vote)

John Ochiltree johnochiltree at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Feb 12 12:32:57 EST 2003

Hmmmmm. All round the world, social democracies are facing dwindling polls
and legitimation crises no matter what the voting system. Maybe we should
take a leaf out of the Iraqi book and have:

numberOfCandidates = 1
candidateName = "Saddam"
print "And the winner is', candidateName, 'with 100%!'

I'm not sure any difference in voting methods is going to change the problem
of falling participation.

Slashdot, a couple of months ago had a link to an article by a mathematician
showing that there were accuracy problems with all types. He demonstrated
anomolies cleary showing that although the voting publics intention is
clear (common sense I suppose?) the outcomes can be frankly perverse.
Haven't got the time to find the link at the moment - sorry!