Case insensitivity

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Sat Feb 22 18:40:16 EST 2003

>Assuming that you do indeed, as you claim, have sincere interest in
discussing issues, I would earnestly urge >you to stop using such devices as
questions intended to be rhetorical -- MOST particularly when the answer to
>them is NOT as obvious as you claim or appear to believe it is. Because,
when you do, then obviously the focus >of your respondent will be to
dismantle the false assumption built into your rhetorical device, rather
than on >letting that go by unchallenged in order to engage in substantive
discussion.

I can only assure you that you have failed to dismantle anything in my mind,
because I don't understand what you are saying. Maybe others do.

If *you* are interested, where this starts and ends with me is in fact with
the Alice studies. I have the proverbial bug up my ass about that project
for reasons mostly unrelated to the case insensitivity conclusions.

It is not worth debating the Alice project with me.  That is a subject I
cannot remain unemotional about, and I have already isolated myself more
than should be true by speaking my mind freely on that subject. Mostly
because I indeed become heated on the subject, and Guido objects to my heat
(among other things).

I only mention it because you have taken the time to engage me. And it would
be disingenuous for me not to mention this aspect of the issue, as it exists
for me.

If you sense gloating, it is only that I am thankful that a major decision
about Python's future was not made based on the Alice studies.  That is
really my *only* strong feeling on the subject.

I will defend that position if I have to. But would prefer not to have to.

Art