Problem using Medusa-based FTP-server behind firewall

Keith Jones kmj9907 at cs.rit.edu
Thu Feb 13 12:43:38 EST 2003

Thomas Weholt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to use Medusa as a pure-python FTP-server and its working
> great -- used locally. When I'm trying to access the server from the
> internet it tries to open a connection to a port above 3000, probably the
> data connection. I guess this port will vary from client to client, how many
> connections there are to the ftp-server etc. These ports are not opened in
> my firewall and the connection attempt from the client times out. Can I
> somehow control what port the clients tries to connect to and in that way
> open a specific range in my firewall, ie. have control over what range of
> ports the clients tries to connect to when using my ftp-server?
>
> Any hints or clues are appreciated.
>
> Best regards,
> Thomas

I'd say use passive mode, but I think that works the other way around..
when the client is behind a firewall. The server must be telling the
client what port to connect to, though, right? Because it has to already
be listening there when the client tries to connect. I don't know
anything specifically about medusa; but even if there's no option for
it, at least there's the potential to hack in a specific range of ports
in the server code. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.